Thursday, August 26, 2010

Disabled Centre - update

I had a really good day on Wednesday at Maharagama Disabled Centre. I think they're really enjoying us being there and its showing in everything - the way they greet us, the growing number every visit of how many join in the activities, the smiles on their faces as we spend time with them and their enthusiasm to communicate with us. One of the men who is normally locked up was sat outside of the bars this time - this has happened twice in our visits but we are yet to find out why they seem to be let out sometimes and not others. I'd really like to do something about this before we leave.

Anyway, sat outside the bars, he started talking to Robbie in English...'My name is....I have two brothers...etc etc' which was a massive surprise. It makes it even harder to understand why some of these men are in here, especially the ones locked up. I hope the relationships we have built up can either be used by us this time by or future volunteers to try and change the conditions in the centre for such loving and gentle people.

Here's some photos taken that day (mostly by the men themselves after helping themselves to my camera from my bag!)

No comments:

Post a Comment